The Race That Almost Wasn’t

This past weekend was the Great Geek Fitness Challenge that I wrote about here and here. As I mentioned in one of those posts I signed up to do Carter’s Run for Dandy Walker on Saturday. Unfortunately things did not go as smoothly as I would have liked.

First, we left the house later than I would have liked which immediately started putting my mood into a tailspin. (One of my big pet peeves is being late.) We got a good parking spot when we arrived at the elementary school where the race was being held but I only had 20 minutes before the actual start.

It was then that I realized I had forgotten my race bib and timing chip. That pretty much just killed my mood altogether and I was ready to turn around and go back home. But I decided to try talking to the ladies at the registration table. Luckily they had some extra bibs and chips. Since they could see my name as having registered and assigned a number, they let me have a new number and chip.

Once I got those things pinned on me I went over to the building to use the restroom. Unfortunately by the time I got out of the building the race had started. So I hustled around to the backside of the start line, ran across the pad that supposedly reads your chip, and started weaving my way past walker, strollers, and costumed cartoon characters.

I won’t bore you with a step by step accounting of the entire race. Let’s just say there was a lot more stepping than there was running. It was pretty hot after the first mile I began to really wish I had brought some water with me. There was one water station at about the 2.5 mile mark. I stopped there and guzzled down four cups of water and then started walking again while carrying two more cups.

I think there was a timer clock at the finish line and I think it said 1:03:xx as I approached but I can’t be sure. I just wanted to cross. I got a bottle of water after crossing and tried to take the timing chip off my shoe. Once I had that done I realized I had forgotten to turn off my Runkeeper app. It said 1:08:41 for 3.40 miles. So basically I did about the same time as my first race  when I had bronchitis though I did learn two important things.

  1. I can’t train for a road race by using an elliptical machine. I have to run on the actual road to build up my shin and calf muscles.
  2. I don’t think I’m competitive enough for races. I don’t enjoy coming in last and I don’t really like running with other people. I much prefer running on my own.

So I don’t think I’ll be signing up for any more races in the near future. Maybe if I can get my 5k time down to something respectable I might try again. But that means I’ve got some work to do this summer.

Oh, by the way, I did set a record on Saturday. Longest time ever for a 5k. Either the timing pad didn’t register my start of my finish. So my official time according to the race website?

10 hours, 23 minutes, 19 seconds. Go me!

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!